The Pharr Police Academy currently works with the South Texas College under a Memorandum of understanding; While The South Texas College conducts the Police Academy training courses, under the Texas Commission On Law Enforcement (TCOLE) curriculum guidelines and provides College credit hours at the end of the extensive training, the Pharr Police Department certifies the graduating students for their TCOLE licensing Exam.
Our relationship with South Texas College has proven successful for almost a decade now. Our graduating cadets are trained under rigorous methodology and strict guidelines, focusing on one important goal; to serve and protect the public. Graduates are provided with state-of-the-art training facilities and a professional training staff.
Minimum General Requirements
- Must be 21 years old
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must have an honorable discharge from the military (if applicable)
- Must never have been convicted of a Class A Misdemeanor or above
- Not been convicted of a Class B misdemeanor within the last 10 years
- Must have a GED or high school diploma
- Must complete a Polygraph exam
- Must complete a physical fitness exam
- Must complete comprehensive medical and psychological screenings
- Must meet all physical agility requirements with a 60% passing rate.
Eligible applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Must not have been convicted for any offense of a class B misdemeanor or above in the last 10 years;
- Applicants that have been arrested on felony charges and not convicted may not be considered;
- Applicants that have two or more separate moving traffic violations in their driving record (prior two years) may be disqualified;
- Never been convicted for family violence;
- Has not been discharged from any military service under less than honorable conditions;
- Bilingual applicants (English & Spanish) will be given special preference;
- Applicants that are licensed police officer will be given special preference.
For more information on the South Texas College Police Academy please visit: